Introducing Windows 10: Microsoft’s Latest Operating System
The Long Awaited Upgrade is Now Available!
As business professionals, it’s imperative that you keep your organization's technology up to date with the latest operating systems and software patches, as lapses of network security can be devastating. Microsoft has released its newest Operating System: Windows 10. To entice users to upgrade to their new offering, Microsoft is offering a free upgrade to those who currently use Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.
What does this mean for your business? To say the least, it’s now more economically viable to be running the most recent software on your PCs than ever before. On Line Support wants to help your business take advantage of this opportunity before it’s too late.
Do You Qualify For a Free Windows 10 Upgrade?
Not Every Person or Business Will Qualify.
Windows 10 Free Upgrades are available for for all new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and and Windows Phone 8.1 Devices that upgrade in the first year. That is, if a legitimate Windows license is attached to device being upgraded.
Eligible for a FREE Upgrade:
- Windows 7: You would have to have Service Pack 1 before you can update using Windows Update but all PCs sold with Windows 7, even pre-SP1 qualify for the upgrade.
- Windows 8: You need to first upgrade to Windows 8.1 (free in the Windows Store) and then install the Windows 8.1 update from Windows Update. After this is complete, you can download Windows 10.
- Windows 8.1: You can upgrade directly to Windows 10 using Windows Update.
NOT Eligible for a free upgrade:
- You don’t have a legitimate Windows OS: If you’ve built your PC or bought it without a qualifying copy of Windows, you won’t be automatically eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10. Even if you are running Windows 10 preview in a physical or virtual machine, you will still have to install a legitimate Windows license in order to get the Windows 10 download for free.
- You’re running Windows XP or Vista: These very old operating systems are not automatically eligible for the Windows 10 update. However, you may be able to qualify if you upgraded to a later Windows version. If you have yet to upgrade, give us a call and a member of the Intelice team will reach out to you to help gain the latest OS in your business.
- You’re using Windows RT: At this time, your device cannot be upgraded to Windows 10. Microsoft has said however, that some features from Windows 10 will be available in an update to Windows RT sometime in the future.
- You’re on OS X (any version): You need a qualifying license to run Windows on your Mac. This applies whether you plan to use Boot Camp or run Windows in a virtual machine.
What's New with Windows 10?
Features for tech veterans and new users alike.
Microsoft is combining the metro interface from Windows 8 with the familiar Start menu and desktop functionality of Windows 7, making Windows 10 an exceptionally user-friendly operating system for all Windows users.
New features of Windows 10 include:
- The Traditional Windows Start Menu is back: One of the biggest complaints about Windows 8 was the lack of a start menu. Microsoft listened and is bringing back the traditional start menu to Windows 10. This new start menu will resemble both the classic and tiled menu versions, all while being integrated for smaller mobile devices.
- Say Good Riddance to Internet Explorer: While Internet Explorer will still be a part of Windows 10 in the physical sense, it will no longer be the main web browser. Instead, Windows 10 features a completely new browser called Microsoft Edge. This new browser is said to be a safer, faster and sleeker version of Explorer, complete with new apps and capabilities.
- Welcome your new virtual assistant: Windows 10 will bring Cortana to desktop users. Cortana is Microsoft’s answer to Apple’s Siri. Cortana will be accessible near the start menu on the bottom left corner of your screen. To activate, just say “Hey Cortana,” and a pop-up notification will appear,
allowing you to search your OneDrive or hard drive.
- Cross-device compatibility. This feature allows Windows 10 to be used on a PC, tablet, or phone. You’ll always have the full version of Windows 10 with you wherever you go, allowing you to accomplish more while on the go than ever before. The Windows Phone version of Windows 10 will launch as soon as September 2015.
- Virtual desktop capabilities. Integrated VDI options allow users to run multiple different applications without cluttering the screen, increasing productivity and efficiency. You can group tasks by project to easily organize your work.
Why You Should Wait
Potential Compatibilty Issues
There are some reasons to wait a few months before upgrading to Windows 10.
- Not all software will be compatible with Windows 10 upon its release.
- Check with your line of business application, your antivirus vendor or any critical software vendor to make sure that the version you are using is compatible with Windows 10.
- The upgrade may not be reversible. If you find that a critical application is not yet compatible with Windows 10, you may need to reload your computer from scratch. This is not easy if you did not receive media with your computer or have misplaced it.
- We have seen several cases where antivirus software needed to be removed before an upgrade was successful.
Arrange Your Upgrade Today
Plan for the future and you plan for success.
Your business should be taking advantage of the latest software solutions in order to increase productivity and efficiency. We can help you ease your business’ transition to a new operating system. Contact On Line Support today at 360.993.0600 today to find out how we can present your organization with our valuable IT services and solutions.
Welcome to On Line Support - The Pacific Northwest's IT Experts
Small Business IT Solutions throughout Pacific Northwest
On Line Support has been providing professional IT Support for businesses in and around the Portland Metro Area since 1998. We strive to give our clients Enterprise-level services and solutions at prices that work for small businesses. Time and experience has helped us develop best practices and workflow procedures around a proactive philosophy designed to keep your focus on your business, not your technology.
Our team of experts can become your outsourced IT department; responding to issues quickly, often before you even know about them. Covering everything from your servers and network infrastructure, to your computers, workstations and mobile devices, phone systems we provide end-to-end solutions for all of your technology needs.
With On Line Support as your outsourced IT partner, you will experience:
- Less Downtime - Faster resolution leads to more productivity
- Fewer Day-to-Day Issues - Proactive maintenance prevents issues in general
- More Opportunities - And more time in the day to take advantage of them
- Predictable IT Budget - Know your IT expenses ahead of time, your accounting department will thank you!
- Infrastructure Protection - Keep your network and devices safe and secure
- Business Continuity - Through backup and disaster recovery methods and best practices
- A Good Night's Sleep - Knowing your business is in good hands 24x7.
Not sure where to begin, or even if On Line Support is a good fit for your organization? Contact us to learn more about how we can help move your business forward.
Technology when you need it, where you need it, at a price you can afford!